[ovs-dev] DPDK Merge Repo

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Wed Aug 2 15:33:31 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 04:35:13PM +0300, Ilya Maximets wrote:
> In addition I have a few general thoughts about merging via pull requests:
>
> 1. There is a requirement described in contribution guide that submitter
>    must sign-off the patch. But merges on github doesn't work this way.
>    So, the patches should be cherry-picked with footer modifications by
>    submitter or contribution guide should be fixed to reflect pull
>    request workflow. I understand that authorship of the merge commit can
>    replace the sign-off somehow, but it's not so easy sometimes to find
>    the corresponding merge commit for particular change. And this still
>    doesn't mean that submitter agree with Developer's Certificate of Origin.

The submitter should sign off on the patch before applying it to the
repo used for the pull request.

> 2. I'm a fan of plain git history. Could we use 'Rebase and merge' policy
>    without merge commits ?
>    https://github.com/blog/2243-rebase-and-merge-pull-requests

I'm torn.  Rebasing for linear history is the current OVS standard and
it definitely make the history easy to understand.  Merge commits,
however, make it clear from the repo how the review process worked and
explicitly show points at which the repo was tested.

> PS: Ben, I'm sorry for the typo in your name in my previous letter.

No problem.