[ovs-dev] OVS+DPDK QoS rate limit issue

王志克 wangzhike at jd.com
Thu Aug 24 03:41:05 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I am using OVS2.7.0 and DPDK 16.11, and testing rate limit function.

I found that if the policing_rate is set very large, say 5Gbps, the rate is limited dramatically to very low value, like 800Mbps.
The command is as below:
ovs-vsctl set interface port-7zel2so9sg ingress_policing_rate=5000000 ingress_policing_burst=500000

If we set the rate lower than 4Gbps, the rate is limited correctly.

Test setup:
Sender (DPDK pktGen) sends out about 10Gbps udp packet, with size about 1420 IP size.
The rate limit is set on VM vhost-user-client port.

Any idea about this issue? Is that known issue?

Br,
Wang Zhike