[ovs-dev] Improved Packet Drop Statistics in OVS

Rohith Basavaraja rohith.basavaraja at ericsson.com
Tue Aug 29 11:12:03 UTC 2017

    Hi Darrell,

    Thanks for reviewing the document and providing the feedback.

    My response inline,  pl search for [Rohith]

    On 29/08/17, 1:20 AM, "Darrell Ball" <dball at vmware.com> wrote:

        Hi Rohith

        Thanks for the improvement proposal and writeup.

        I wonder if it possible to divide the document by pipeline stage and type somehow – like receive drops, flow processing drops and
        transmit drops.
        Flow processing drops due to xlate processing error drops, explicit openflow drop and resource exhaustion is one division by type.
        Maybe also by subtype, such as mbuf depletion for resource exhaustion type, too deep recursion for xlate error…

    [Rohith]Not sure If I understood your comment clearly. Did you meant to categorize the drops as receive drops, flow processing drops and
       transmit drops? In turn for each of the category have sub type/gategory? In the document we intended the same, let me know if requires
    any reformatting to convey the same.

        It would be good if ‘Internal DP error’ had more specific errors, such as the above error cases.

    [Rohith]Ok will have subtypes for Internal DP error

        Would a table help here based on ‘stage’, ‘type’ and ‘subtype’ somehow; does not need to be as suggested above ?

    [Rohith]Sure,  will have table to summarize stage, type and subtype drops.

        Seems you are intending this initially for the userspace datapath ?
[Rohith] Yes initially it’s for userspace datapath only.

        If you are maintaining stats on a PMD level as mentioned, did you consider possibly exporting this into
        pmd-stats-show (at least initially), maybe as an option, like verbose or extended or … ?

[Rohith] Sure I consider that if that’s going to be helpful for debugging.

        You could separate out the implementation details to a
        separate later section; maybe some pseudocode or actual code for
        implementation discussion part.

[Rohith] Ok, once the patch is ready will have separate section discussing the complete code flow.

        Thanks Darrell