[ovs-dev] [RFC] Vhost-user backends cross-version migration support

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 15:34:07 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 03:11:10PM +0100, Maxime Coquelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/01/2017 09:35 AM, Maxime Coquelin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Few months ago, Michael reported a problem about migrating VMs relying
> > on vhost-user between hosts supporting different backend versions:
> >  - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-10/msg03026.html
> >
> >  The goal of this thread is to draft a proposal based on the outcomes
> > of discussions with contributors of the different parties (DPDK/OVS
> > /libvirt/...).
>
> Thanks the first feedback. It seems to converge that this is Nova's
> role, but not Libvirt one to manage these versions from management tool
> layer.

I think the conclusion is not that it should go up the stack.  I think
this will just get broken all the time.  No one understands versions and
stuff. Even QEMU developers get confused and break compatibility once in
a while.

My conclusion is that doing it from OVS side is wrong.  Migration is not
an OVS thing, it's a QEMU thing, and libvirt abstracts QEMU.    People
just want migration to work, ok? It's our job to do it, we do not really
need a "make things work" flag.

If libvirt does not want to use the vhost-user protocol (which sounds
reasonable, it's rather complex) how about qemu providing a small
utility to query the port?  We could output json or whatever.

This can help with MTU as well.

And maybe it will help with nowait support - if someone uses the utility
to dump backend config once, QEMU can later start the device without
feature queries.