[ovs-dev] how to create new ovsdb tables and code c funtion related?

Valentine Sinitsyn valentine.sinitsyn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 07:20:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 15.02.2017 10:08, lg.yue wrote:
> Hi, everyone:
>
> 一. after i change ovn/ovn-[sn]b.ovsschema,  how to apply the changes?
> makefile compiles ovn/ovn-[sn]b.ovsschema to
> ovn/lib/ovn-[s,n]b-idl.ovsidl, i can not  find anyone use
> ovn-[s,n]b-idl.ovsidl.
As the name suggests, *.ovsschema defines schema only. You still need to
write code which uses your new tables. It should be possible to fill
them with ovs-vsctl, but without something reading them, this would be
dead data.

> 二. lets take sb for example.
>  ovsdb-server --detach --monitor -vconsole:off
> --log-file=/var/log/openvswitch/ovsdb-server-sb.log
> --remote=punix:/run/openvswitch/ovnsb_db.sock
> --pidfile=/run/openvswitch/ovnsb_db.pid
> --remote=db:OVN_Southbound,SB_Global,connections --unixctl=ovnsb_db.ctl
> --private-key=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,private_key
> --certificate=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,certificate
> --ca-cert=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,ca_cert /var/lib/openvswitch/ovnsb_db.db
>     1. who launches the ovsdb-server process?  and when?
Usually this happens from the init scripts. The real machinery is under
${PREFIX}/share/openvswitch/scripts.

>     2. how  /var/lib/openvswitch/ovnsb_db.db is created?
You can use ovsdb-tool create, see INSTALL.md. ovn-ctl script called
from init scripts should handle this automatically.

>     3. 'ovn-sbctl set-connection ptp:6642'  how this instruction
> associates port 6642 with ovsdb-server (please tell the source code)
> 三. supported the new db is created, whether  or not i need to code c
> funtion  like sbrec_idl_class in ovn/lib/ovn-sb-idl.c
This is basically a compiled schema definition. You should start at
ovn/utilities/ovn-sbctl.c

>  too many questions, please help me figure it out.
> thanks very much
Just don't forget to consult the documentation, some of your questions
are already answered there ;-)

Valentine