[ovs-dev] Sync on PTAP, EXT-382 and NSH

Jiri Benc jbenc at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 11:31:43 UTC 2017

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 11:15:22 +0000, Yang, Yi Y wrote:
> We need to let users have one NSH version available before your
> proposal is implemented. I support your proposal, but I have no way
> to do anything helpful before your implementation for generic
> encap/decap and packet_type are available.

Implementing something that we know will be obsolete in a relatively
short time does not make much sense. It's painful but the focus here is
long term maintainability, not short time gain.

> I don't know what other guys are thinking about this, it seems only
> you and I are caring this :)

The truth is very few people care about NSH in ovs. There is a lot of
people who *claim* they care and that they need it implemented ASAP but
when it comes to doing real work, it's only you, Ericsson and partially
Red Hat. Which, in my opinion, pretty much reflects the urgency. If
people did really care, they would invest into this. Hopefully this
will change now with Jan taking lead in this.

I like Jan's proposal.

 Jiri