[ovs-dev] GTP support to OVS upstream

Joe Stringer joe at ovn.org
Thu Jul 6 14:25:12 UTC 2017

On 5 July 2017 at 03:54, Yang, Yi Y <yi.y.yang at intel.com> wrote:
> I remember OpenFlow 1.6 spec (not finalized) proposes to use OpenFlow actions to do GTP-u encapsulation and decapsulation, current OvS tunnel implementation can't support the third kind of use case (don't encap & decap, just parse, match and forward), MEC (ETSI Molibe/Multi-access Edge Computing) the third kind of use case.
>
> I'm wondering if it is feasible to implement a generic UDP tunnel in OvS, let Openflow do encap /decap/parse&match, now ovs master has fully supported L3 tunnel port and PTAP(Packet type aware pipeline), we have posted out generic encap & decap actions implementation, once ovs officially merges them, ovs can support generic encap & decap action, we can base on them to implement GTP-u encap & decap, then it will be better if we can implement a generic UDP tunnel, ovs can add UDP tunnel ports with different UDP port to handle different tunnel protocol, I think this will be the best way to handle the aforementioned three kinds of use cases.

When it comes to the OVS userspace datapath, this seems like it maps
pretty well to how things are already being done. When it comes to
kernel APIs though there's a bunch of considerations around minimizing
code duplication with the rest of the code, restricting scope/size
creep of the module, and expectations of how long the API is
supported. I think further discussion is necessary in that space to
determine whether the OVS kernel module should really follow this
model or not.