[ovs-dev] OVSDB Replication: Clarifications required

Andy Zhou azhou at ovn.org
Mon Jul 10 20:00:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Arunkumar Rg <arunkumar.rg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Got few clarifications on OVSDB replication. Please let me know your inputs
> on it.
>
> 1. From the ovsdb-server code(main_loop()), it seems that the standby
> ovsdb-server becomes 'Active' if the JSONRPC session with the
> active-ovsdb-server is not alive.
> Instead of this behavior, is there a way(probably some CLI option) wherein
> we can instruct the ovsdb-server to not become active even if the session
> to 'active' is not alive??

It is technically possible.  What is a good use case for this?

> 2. I understand in the standby-ovsdb-server then no transaction(write
> operation) can be done on it's DB. At the same time, I see an option in
> appctl to exclude few tables from syncing, whether we can do
> transaction(write operation) on those tables in the standby-ovsdb-server??

This may be a good extension to current implementation.

> 3. Can the below runtime management commands of ovsdb-server can be done
> via API calls(something like IDL APIs)??
> ovsdb-server/connect-remote-ovsdb-server
> ovsdb-server/disconnect-remote-ovsdb-server
> ovsdb-server/set-sync-exclude-tables {db:table,...}
> ovsdb-server/get-sync-excluded-tables

Current design and implementation are for integration with Linux HA
framework. Those
extensions are technically possible. Would implementing them improve
Linux HA integration
better? or for supporting other HA framework?