[ovs-dev] OVSDB Replication: Clarifications required

Andy Zhou azhou at ovn.org
Fri Jul 21 23:29:01 UTC 2017

> Arun: The issue I see with multiple ovsdb-servers being 'active' at the same
> time
> is - controller doesn't recognize these scenario and hence there is an
> intermittent state
> wherein the behavior is undefined. So if I have to make a patch, I'm
> thinking to add
> an option wherein we say state-change('active' to 'standby' and vice-versa)
> is 'client-driven'.
> Please share your comment.

I think I am still missing some details. When current active ovsdb-server
fails, how would the controller know about the next active ovsdb-sever?

If this will be under the control of the HW-VTEP fail over scheme. Could
it tell all the controller about the same next active ovsdb-server, then tell
any other ovsdb-server that remains alive to be the backup server?

> Arun: Yes, My client connects to ovsdb-server via a unix domain socket. Let
> me try this.

Sound good.