[ovs-dev] [RFC] Basic active-active HA for ovn-northd

Russell Bryant russell at ovn.org
Mon Jul 31 20:53:03 UTC 2017

I wanted to share the idea before I code it to see if it makes sense.
I imagine the patch would be small, though.

We currently provide HA for ovn-northd by using Pacemaker to ensure
that ovn-northd is running only one time somewhere in a cluster.

What if we made ovn-northd acquire an OVSDB lock on the southbound
database before it did any real work?  That way we could start
multiple copies of ovn-northd in a cluster, but only one would be
active at a time.

This is crude, and obviously we would want to distribute work among
ovn-northd instances eventually, but does this sound like an
improvement over requiring something like Pacemaker?

--
Russell Bryant