[ovs-dev] flake8 checking for release branches

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Mon May 1 17:26:11 UTC 2017

There's a bit of a problem with flake8 and release branches.  The
release branches mainly stay the same, but flake8 marches on, and the
result is that building an old branch, e.g. branch-2.6, with modern
flake8 causes errors that break the build.

I can think of several ways to deal with this:

        * Do something different on master and release branches,
          e.g. change errors to warnings when we branch for release.

        * Only make flake8 warnings into errors when configured with
          --enable-Werror.

        * Only run flake8 when a configure option is given.

        * Apply fixes to release branches to avoid the warnings.

Opinions?