[ovs-dev] [OVN] SFC Day in the Life of Packet (with markdown)

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Tue May 30 17:49:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 05:38:11PM +0000, John McDowall wrote:

> At the request of several people I have put together a few use cases for day in the life of a packet for the service chain approach. I have written it up in markdown format as it is easier to review standalone (IMHO). Once everyone is happy with it I will move in to XML in ovn-architecture.7.xml.
>
> The following feedback would be useful:
>

>   1.  Is this the required level of detail?
>   2.  Any other use cases I should add?
>   3.  Other details that are missing?
>
> I have another patch ready to go that includes the latest comments from Mickey but it requires his pipeline extension patch.

This is super-detailed, thank you!  It is just the kind of information
that I like to have as a reference.  If I were going to suggest a way to
improve it, I would add some introductory material that provides context
for SFC and the kinds of applications that typically make use of it, as
well as information on which of those applications this implementation
does and does not target.

I did not read any of this in detail.  I'd like to hear feedback from
other people who understand the purpose and context of SFC better,
because I'm worried that a lot of my thoughts will be essentially
nitpicking at the "micro" level without proper attention to the "macro"
level.

I'll have a look at Mickey's patch now.

Thanks,

Ben.