[ovs-dev] Restore flows is slow using "ovs-save", is there someone who use RPC to speed up flow restore?

Timothy M. Redaelli tredaelli at redhat.com
Fri Nov 24 09:20:16 UTC 2017

On 11/24/2017 04:07 AM, Sam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on speed up ovs restart, I found that restore flows is slow
> when there are lots of flows, so I want to use RPC to store flows in
> another process, and then restore from it.
>
> Is there someone who have worked on this? could you share how faster after
> this change? Thank you~
>
> Or is there some other ways to speed up? Thank you~!

Hi,
I sent a patch [1], already merged on master branch, that makes ovs-save
much faster by using --bundle (if you are supporting at least OF 1.4)
and file (instead of heredoc).

With that patchset you'll be able to restore 1 million flows with
traffic disruption less than 15 seconds.

[1]
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/list/?series=4973&state=%2A&archive=both