[ovs-dev] TOS for BFD packets

Venkatesan Pradeep venkatesan.pradeep at ericsson.com
Tue Oct 17 09:12:38 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

The implementations I've worked on have used tos=0xC0 (DSCP CS6). Given that DSCP CS6 is recommended for network control traffic, and is used by OSPF, BGP etc., I think it is likely that many implementations do that for BFD too. Since BFD flaps have significant impact, marking BFD packets with the right DSCP value will allow the network to apply the right QoS for those packets and prevent BFD flaps due to network congestion.

Regards,

Pradeep