[ovs-dev] [RFC] Question about ovn-controller performance

Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo majopela at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 21:10:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 02:52:48PM -0600, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> > Although I see we have code for somehow packing stuff into conjunctions:
> >
> > https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/1ea2184501d43352ec40764f5eaa3c
> bd07e3fee3/ovn/controller/lflow.c#L298
> >
> > I don't really understand (yet) what's it doing. Is it may be supposed to
> > cover this case but we got into a bug?
>
> It's a naive, ad hoc algorithm that I implemented knowing at the time
> that I didn't know what was actually important yet.  Now that we have an
> example of a case where it's important to get it right, it's time to
> take another look.

Oh, sounds great Ben, thank you for handling this.

I'm spending some time reading the lflow.c code to understand what we have
now.

I was wondering if, another improvement we could make in the future is
 having ACL_Match sets, or something like that, to reduce the amount of ACL
entries and lflow entries that we generate, and also make it easier for
ovn-controller to group them. They would resemble the idea of security
groups (for rules, not for members) in neutron, but not sure if that's too
specific.