[ovs-dev] How to implement IEEE 802.1Q using vSwitch in Core Emulator ?

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Tue Apr 17 15:38:21 UTC 2018

Please don't drop the list.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 08:50:46PM +0530, rakesh kumar wrote:
>  > 1. Can I customize the vSwitch behavior to implement my algorithms ex -
> > want to customize the Queue's behavior in switches.  if Yes Please Provide
> > some details  ?
>
> What algorithms?
>
> Re  - I will have my algorithms for traffic shaping and controlling the 7
> queues inside the switch.

In that case, you have two choices.

You can either implement your queuing algorithms as Linux qdiscs, inside
the Linux kernel, and use the OVS Linux kernel module datapath.  In that
case, there might be no advantage over the Linux bridge.

Or, you can implement your queuing algorithms inside the OVS netdev-dpdk
module, in userspace, and use the OVS DPDK datapath.  This is likely to
result in a switch that is faster than the OVS datapath.