[ovs-dev] [PATCH v3 10/n] docs: Clarify changes in Rx queue allocation
stephen at that.guru
Fri Apr 20 09:24:32 UTC 2018
Two mistakes here:
- Automatic assignment of Rx queues to PMD threads has always existed -
it was simply switched from round-robin allocation to
- The above, along with the 'pmd-rxq-rebalance' command, was added in
OVS 2.9.0 - not OVS 2.8.0 - while the 'pmd-rxq-show' command was added
in OVS 2.6.0 and modified in OVS 2.9.0
Correct both of these and modify the NEWS entry for this to clarify
things a little (it took a bit of git spelunking and bothering people on
IRC to figure out).
Signed-off-by: Stephen Finucane <stephen at that.guru>
Cc: Kevin Traynor <ktraynor at redhat.com>
Cc: Ian Stokes <ian.stokes at intel.com>
I'm not sure if it's OK to modify NEWS entries after a release. If not,
please simply drop that hunk when applying this.
Documentation/topics/dpdk/pmd.rst | 17 ++++++++++-------
NEWS | 2 ++
2 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
diff --git a/Documentation/topics/dpdk/pmd.rst b/Documentation/topics/dpdk/pmd.rst
index a652720e2..5f0671ecc 100644
@@ -148,14 +148,17 @@ or can be triggered by using::
$ ovs-appctl dpif-netdev/pmd-rxq-rebalance
-.. versionchanged:: 2.8.0
+.. versionchanged:: 2.6.0
- Automatic assignment of Rx queues to PMDs and the two related commands,
- ``pmd-rxq-show`` and ``pmd-rxq-rebalance``, were added in OVS 2.8.0. Prior
- to this, behavior was round-robin and processing cycles were not taken into
- consideration. Tracking for stats was not available.
+ The ``pmd-rxq-show`` command was added in OVS 2.6.0.
.. versionchanged:: 2.9.0
- The output of ``pmd-rxq-show`` was modified to include utilization as a
+ Utilization-based allocation of Rx queues to PMDs and the
+ ``pmd-rxq-rebalance`` command were added in OVS 2.9.0. Prior to this,
+ allocation was round-robin and processing cycles were not taken into
+ In addition, the output of ``pmd-rxq-show`` was modified to include
+ Rx queue utilization of the PMD as a percentage. Prior to this, tracking of
+ stats was not available.
diff --git a/NEWS b/NEWS
index cd4ffbbfb..3e3f55385 100644
@@ -83,6 +83,8 @@ v2.9.0 - 19 Feb 2018
- ovs-ofctl dump-ports command now prints new of set custom statistics
if available (for OpenFlow 1.4+).
+ * Switch from round-robin allocation of rxq to pmd assignments to a
+ utilization-based allocation.
* New appctl command 'dpif-netdev/pmd-rxq-rebalance' to rebalance rxq to
* Add rxq utilization of pmd to appctl 'dpif-netdev/pmd-rxq-show'.
More information about the dev