[ovs-dev] GDB macro's for Open vSwitch

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Wed Apr 25 19:42:56 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 06:12:03PM +0200, Eelco Chaudron wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I could not find any GDB macros or commands in the OVS project, and as I was
> debugging some vague crash I started to create some.
>
> As I was trying to do this while debugging I copied some code from the Linux
> debug commands, so I had to use the same GPL2 license.
>
> You can find the commands on GitHub,
> https://github.com/chaudron/gdb_commands/blob/master/ovs_GDB.py
>
> I'm ok with including them in the OVS distribution if others find them
> useful, but not sure how this works with the GPL2 license.
>
> The commands added to GDB are:
>
> - ovs_dump_bridge [ports|wanted]
> - ovs_dump_bridge_ports <struct bridge *>
> - ovs_dump_dp_netdev [ports]
> - ovs_dump_dp_netdev_ports <struct dp_netdev *>
> - ovs_dump_netdev

This sounds useful.  I don't think that the GPL license should be a big
deal because GDB macros are not linked against C code.  It seems like a
clear case of "mere aggregation" to me.

Would you like to submit a patch to add these to the tree?  Ideally, you
could add some documentation as well (probably adding what you put in
the commit message to the tree).

Thanks,

Ben.