[ovs-dev] OVS DPDK Latest & HWOL Branches

Kevin Traynor ktraynor at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 15:21:54 UTC 2018

On 08/30/2018 03:34 PM, Ian Stokes wrote:
> On 8/30/2018 2:51 PM, Ophir Munk wrote:
>> Hi Ian,
>> Please find comments inline.

Weekly or bi-weekly seems like a good base plan. You might decide to
tweak it when it starts, depending what has changed on master and how
much effort it's proving to be around testing and if conflicts are
occurring etc.

> Besides these, 0 day robot will help catch issues with patches once they
> are send to the mailing list.
>>
>>> I'd like to hear input from users on these as it would affect their
>>> workflow if
>>> they are active with these branches. If we can stick to a schedule it
>>> should
>>> make life easier.
>>>

>> Who are going to be the new branches maintainers?
>> I am volunteering for being a maintainer.
>> If there is a limitation that only Ian can update the new branches -
>> that's OK.
>> In that case Ian can pull them from a known remote repository handled
>> by the maintainers
>
> I'm not sure of the model you are looking for here. I would have thought
> that patches to be committed to either dpdk-latest or dpdk-hwol would be
> sent to the mailing list as per usual for review from other developers
> in the community. Then applied by the committer to dpdk-latest or
> dpdk-hwol once there is agreement and sign off.

+1 for the standard email workflow and applying directly on the branches
created for this.

> If we are pulling from a remote branch then it would seem to defeat this
> as patches on that branch would have already been merged without
> discussion from the ML?
>
> Maybe I've misunderstood.
>

>> One issue not discussed in this thread is the upgrade to dpdk 18.08 on
>> OVS master branch.
>> I suggest dedicating the weeks till end of September for OVS testing
>> by NIC vendors.
>
> I don't think master will upgrade to 18.08 anymore, instead it would
> wait for 18.11 LTS. I would think having the dpdk-latest branch negates
> the need for OVS master to move to 18.08 now?
>
> One of the main concerns regarding moving to DPDK 18.08 on master is if
> the situation arose where there was a blocking issue for OVS moving to
> DPDK 18.11. You would then have an OVS release using 18.08 and we wish
> to avoid releases using non DPDK LTS.

+1. The idea of moving master to 18.08 was really as an alternative to
having a dpdk-latest branch, in order to help integration towards 18.11.
It's not helpful now that there is a dedicated branch for that.