[ovs-dev] [v3 dpdk-latest 2/3] netdev-dpdk: Replace rte_eth_dev_attach/detach

Ophir Munk ophirmu at mellanox.com
Sun Dec 2 16:45:06 UTC 2018

The commit message should include Co-authored-by in order to give credit to other authors.

> > Another choice is to break the move into 2 patches. Patch 1 could move to
> 18.08 on master first (squashed commits based on the DPDK 18.08 work you
> submitted), then patch 2 would follow up immediately with a move to 18.11
> based on what Kevin has submitted.
> >
> > This would at least avoid 1 large patch, would be easier to bisect in the
> future also if any issues occur.
> >
> > The downside here is that the DPDK compilation will fail in travis for DPDK
> 18.08 due to the deprecated API for hotplug attach/detach. I'd like to avoid
> introducing warnings into the OVS build if possible.
> >
> > What are peoples thoughts?
>
> I'd like the idea to squash everything in a single patch.
> You may squash in my patch too:
> bef2cdc8f412 ("netdev-dpdk: Fix returning the field of malloced struct.") This
> will slightly decrease the size of resulted change.
>
> Kevin's patch is relatively small. It has only 24 lines in code diff.
> Upgrade to 18.08 is already big and contains a lot of not really connected
> changes. So, additional 24 lines will not make it worse.
> IMHO, bisecting will not suffer from squashing. And more, it'll be easier to
> bisect, because you will not have to build completely different DPDK version
> for a single commit in the middle. And, as I already said, upgrade to 18.11 is a
> small patch.

Squashing is an option. There is no point in having only one commit which refers to dpdk 18.08.
However, the commit message should be detailed and include all the information regarding what was done for 18.08 and 18.11 separately.

> Another issue is that without the IOPL fix [1], unit tests will fail if linked with
> DPDK 18.08. This could also make bisecting harder.
> 18.11.0 already has the fix on DPDK level.
>
> [1]
> https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fma
> il.openvswitch.org%2Fpipermail%2Fovs-dev%2F2018-
> November%2F354114.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cophirmu%40mellanox.c
> om%7C212ec50e3ddf4bb7aee408d656b70893%7Ca652971c7d2e4d9ba6a4d14
> 9256f461b%7C0%7C0%7C636791741471242674&amp;sdata=Tt5JpKGrez2TRUt
> iJ9ucWpx1l5mRqfS7s6rxRGK3en4%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Best regards, Ilya Maximets.
>
> > Ian

Regards,
Ophir