[ovs-dev] Fw: OVS_DPDK bridge with DPDK physical ports doesn't route the ping packets

Mona ElSaadawy mona.elsaadawy at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Dec 4 17:50:10 UTC 2018

________________________________
From: Mona ElSaadawy
Sent: December 4, 2018 5:47 AM
To: ovs-dev at openvswitch.org
Subject: OVS_DPDK bridge with DPDK physical ports doesn't route the ping packets

Hi,

I'm trying to build up an OVS-DPDK bridge that should connect two different physical hosts. I followed this tutorial to install DPDK and OVS with DPDK configuration :http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/ and followed the instructions in PHY-PHY in http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/dpdk/ to build up the intended setup.  To test this setup, I directly plugged the physical NICs of node-01 and Node-03 into the DPDK physical NICs at node 02. Then I try to ping Node-03 from Node-01 but it doesn't work though the ARPing is working and whenI run dump-flows on the OVS-DPDK bridge, I can find the ping packets matched in their corresponding flows but can't received at the connected hosts. I tried to write the destination MAC address for each flow to ensure the delivery, but it doesn't work either. I tried also to enable the flow negotiation and flow control for both the receiving and transmitting queues of the bridge DPDK ports by running:

ovs-vsctl set Interface <DPDK port  name> options:tx-flow-ctrl=true

ovs-vsctl set Interface <DPDK port  name> options:rx-flow-ctrl=true

ovs-vsctl set Interface <DPDK port  name> options:flow-ctrl-autoneg=true

It doesn't work.

I also enabled the IP forwarding in the both communicating nodes (1 & 3).

So can anyone please help in figuring out what is wrong in this setup?.A thing to add. The two physical DPDK posts added to the OVS  belong to one NIC chip and when I try to show the MAC table of the OVS_DPDK bridge I found it empty.

Mona