[ovs-dev] [v3 dpdk-latest 2/3] netdev-dpdk: Replace rte_eth_dev_attach/detach

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Tue Dec 11 10:02:08 UTC 2018

I've applied kevins 18.11 patch to dpdk-latest and dpdk-hwol as well as pull the latest changes from master to these branches.

> > > I intended to merge master to dpdk-latest tomorrow, if people have
> > > signed
> > off on Kevins patch then I can also apply that to dpdk-latest.
> >
> > Beside the other talks, is it possible to always use 'git pull
> > --rebase' policy for branches ? It's much easier to track the changes
> > / diff with the master if the history is plain.
> >

> > > As regards moving merging 18.11 support to master I think we need to
> > discuss the logistics of this a little more. Discussing this with
> > Kevin I didn’t see a clear path so we have a few options.
> > >
> > > We could generate a patch on the diff between master and dpdk-latest
> > with 18.11 support.
> > >
> > > Upside is we move in one patch to 18.11. However this could be messy
> > though in terms of bisecting issues in the future, it would also be
> > nice to give proper credit to the authors for the work done on
> individual patches.
>
> The commit message should include Co-authored-by in order to give credit
> to other authors.
>

> > > Another choice is to break the move into 2 patches. Patch 1 could
> > > move to
> > 18.08 on master first (squashed commits based on the DPDK 18.08 work
> > you submitted), then patch 2 would follow up immediately with a move
> > to 18.11 based on what Kevin has submitted.
> > >
> > > This would at least avoid 1 large patch, would be easier to bisect
> > > in the
> > future also if any issues occur.
> > >
> > > The downside here is that the DPDK compilation will fail in travis
> > > for DPDK
> > 18.08 due to the deprecated API for hotplug attach/detach. I'd like to
> > avoid introducing warnings into the OVS build if possible.
> > >
> > > What are peoples thoughts?
> >
> > I'd like the idea to squash everything in a single patch.
> > You may squash in my patch too:
> > bef2cdc8f412 ("netdev-dpdk: Fix returning the field of malloced
> > struct.") This will slightly decrease the size of resulted change.
> >
> > Kevin's patch is relatively small. It has only 24 lines in code diff.
> > Upgrade to 18.08 is already big and contains a lot of not really
> > connected changes. So, additional 24 lines will not make it worse.
> > IMHO, bisecting will not suffer from squashing. And more, it'll be
> > easier to bisect, because you will not have to build completely
> > different DPDK version for a single commit in the middle. And, as I
> > already said, upgrade to 18.11 is a small patch.
> >

> Squashing is an option. There is no point in having only one commit which
> refers to dpdk 18.08.
> However, the commit message should be detailed and include all the
> information regarding what was done for 18.08 and 18.11 separately.

I've created a new patch based on a diff of master and the head of dpdk-latest.
It summarizes the changes along with commit IDs of all patches used to upgrade to 18.11. All authors have been added as co-authors. Please see patch below. Comments welcome.

https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2018-December/354385.html

Ian