[ovs-dev] OVS seems to not release memory on ARP bursts

Ani Sinha ani.sinha at nutanix.com
Fri Dec 28 07:30:52 UTC 2018

Hi :

We are performing an experiment based on our observed behavior on some of our systems. We are using a python packet generator called scapy to generate arp broadcast packet bursts with random MACs.  What we are observing is that within a period of 20 sec to 30 sec, the upcall flow count reaches to about 30K with about 1.6G memory consumption by OVS  at which point the kernel OOM killer kicks in and kills the OVS daemon.

We are wondering if this is an expected behavior and if it is, whether there is a setting to limit the size of internal data structures used by OVS for ARP packets or processing slow path ARP packets (I have not looked into the code and done any analysis).

thanks
Ani