[ovs-dev] OVS DPDK Mempool revert

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Thu Feb 8 14:02:37 UTC 2018

This was the agreement, however the feeling on yesterday's community call (And feel free to correct me) was that this causes a headache for user upgrading to 2.9.0, they then have to deal with the memory issue on a per port basis for 2.9.0, and then on a shared memory basis for 2.9.1. This isn't a trivial change for tem and the shared mempool option is preferred for 2.9.0 if possible.

> I'm sorry, but I see no meeting minutes for the latest OVS-DPDK sync call.

I don’t think they've been sent out yet. I just wanted to get ahead and flag this approach as I feel it's important to make everyone aware as soon as possible.

> In general, I think that temporary reverting of the current model looks
> not so pretty. Especially if we're going to almost revert this revertion
> in the future.

I agree, it's not very pretty. But we're re-introducing shared memory in the future then I'd like it not to block upgrades to the 2.9.0 branch.

From the call it seems the preferred method is shared memory, to me it makes sense to revert now and build on top of it.

> Does you RFC patch intended for branch-2.9 only? In this case it may be
> acceptable. We'll continue working on current model for 2.10 to fix all
> the issues or implement some completely new model. And branch-2.9 will be
> left with shared mempool model forever. Did I understand correctly?

I hadn't thought of this option, just keeping the revert to the 2.9 branch specifically but not master.

Again it comes back to the starting point for our new solution, if shared memory is generally preferred by the community then it would make sense to revert and re-introduce the per port model in a less invasive manner so that they can co-exist.

This new model could be backported to 2.9.1 if required with the understanding that shared memory behavior is the default so as to maintain backwards compatibility.

Ian