[ovs-dev] [RFC 0/8] ovn-controller Incremental Processing

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 18:56:14 UTC 2018

Hi Han,

First off, great work! This is fantastic to see, and I'm super excited
to see such a drop in CPU usage with this patch.

Since this is an RFC patch, I won't go too deep into nitty-gritty
details on this. Rather, I'll look at it from a high level.

The API design idea is great. I like the use of a directed graph since
it clearly indicates dependencies. The patch progression is done really
well since it allows for us to easily understand each individual change.
It also makes it easy to see additional incremental changes that could
be added in the future.

My main concern is that the specific setup you have used here results in
data encapsulation not being very strong. For instance, the
en_flow_output node consistently looks inside the en_runtime_data node
for input data. It appears from my quick look that en_flow_output is
treating this data as immutable, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct.
There's nothing in place to stop it from modifying that data if it
wanted to, though. Also it is common for nodes to modify global data
rather than just modifying node-local data(e.g. making calls to
ofctrl_add_flow(), which modifies a global hmap).

Ideally, this entire thing would be doable without the need for the
engine_get_input() function. Each node would operate independently on
its own data. Doing this would aid in the ability to reason about what
each node is responsible for, and it would open the door for introducing
parallel processing of sibling nodes in the DAG.

All that being said, I would be happy to see a change like this go in
as-is (pending more in-depth code review, of course) if the data
encapsulation work would creep the scope out too much for the initial
changeset.

Mark!