[ovs-dev] Open vSwitch Debian package maintainership

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 18 21:31:03 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 09:56 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Hi Thomas.  Thanks for the latest upload of the Open vSwitch packages to
> Debian.
>
> I'm no longer interested in being a maintainer for the downstream Debian
> packages of Open vSwitch.  I just don't have sufficient time to do it
> properly (and honestly have not had that time for at least a few years).
> The next time you make an upload, would you mind removing me from the
> Maintainers field?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

Ben,

Reading the above is very frustrating. Yes, I know how to do packages,
but I really need help from upstream. In many ways, I do need help from
upstream, and especially from someone knowing packaging. I very much
would prefer if you could reconsider your above decision. Even if you
don't do the bulk of the work, I will need help when there's FTBFS and such.

For example, currently, OpenVSwitch can build because I have patched the
unit test suite to remove lots of tests. I would very much prefer if I
had real fixes, rather than disabling them.

There's also areas that I don't really understand (yet?). For example, I
have yet understood what DPDK is, and how I should package it. The only
way I could do it would be cheating by reading what has been done in
Ubuntu. That's not the way I want to continue doing the work. I don't
really get what is the difference between OVS and OVN as well.

So, definitively, please continue to help!

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)