[ovs-dev] encrypting only some traffic (was: OVN: Encrypt tunnel traffic with IPsec)

Ansis Atteka ansisatteka at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:16:56 UTC 2018

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 at 15:57, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 03:44:58PM -0700, Qiuyu Xiao wrote:
> > Discussion
> > ---------------
> > The current proposal only allows CMS to choose either encrypting all
> > tunnel traffic or not. A more flexible design allows CMS to define
> > that only the tunnel traffic from certain logical networks should be
> > encrypted. To enable this, the IPsec stack needs to differentiate
> > tunnel traffic from different logical networks. The kernel IPsec
> > module cannot match packets based on the tunnel header. In the sending
> > side, OVS can use skb mark to tag the tunnel traffic and the IPsec
> > module can decide whether to encrypt the packet based on the mark. I
> > am not so sure whether the skb mark information will be carried and
> > transmitted to the receiving side or not. If not, an adversary can
inject
> > unencrypted fake packets to the protected flow without being detected
> > by the IPsec module.

There are at least 3 choices at what scope you could have the encryption
switch that admin could use to enable IPsec:

1. At the whole setup scope
2. At the scope between any two transport nodes (or group of nodes)
3. At the scope of logical switch

I think you are proposing #3 here. It is the most fine grained. However, it
would require to use "opportunistic packet authentication" and expose Open
vSwitch code to potential attackers, because the IPsec stack will have to
let through packets that are not signed.

In other words, instead of letting IPsec stack to drop malicious packets
you will require OpenFlow rule to do that. Probably based on skb mark in
match part.

For #1 and #2 you would not need skb mark at all. Are you considering these
two approaches as well?