[ovs-dev] windows support

Alin Gabriel Serdean aserdean at ovn.org
Tue May 15 21:13:50 UTC 2018

> On 15 May 2018, at 23:56, Xin Wang <xwang at aelladata.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I went through the document on openvswitch for Windows. Looks like the
> target it supports now is either Windows8 or Windows10, how can I build
> OVSExt for  Windows server 2012 and Windows server 2016?
>
> Looks like the current Windows solution is based on Hyper-V, is there any
> plan in the future to integrate with Winpcap?
>
> Best regards,
> Xin

Hi Xin,

http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/windows/#configuring
"Possible values for <target type> are: Debug and Release Possible values for <target versions> is a comma separated list of target versions to compile among: Win8,Win8.1,Win10”
8, 8.1, 10 are the family versions. The server version correspondent to it would be 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016.

As you pointed OVS is at the moment a Hyper-V vSwitch forwarding extension. As an extra information, it can also be used for containers (windows and hyper-v containers).

Could you please expand on the idea “integrate with Winpcap”?

—
Alin