[ovs-dev] windows support

Xin Wang xwang at aelladata.com
Tue May 15 21:46:20 UTC 2018

Hi Alin,

I am trying to understand if openvswitch could work in windows similar as
linux. As it described in the openvswitch Hyper-V design document,
"

The datapath for the OVS on Linux is a kernel module, and cannot be
directly ported since there are significant differences in architecture
even though the end functionality provided would be similar. Some examples
of the differences are:

   - Interfacing with the NDIS stack to hook into the NDIS callbacks for
   functionality such as receiving and sending packets, packet completions,
   OIDs used for events such as a new port appearing on the virtual switch.
   - Interface between the userspace and the kernel module.
   - Event notifications are significantly different.
   - The communication interface between DPIF and the kernel module need
   not be implemented in the way OVS on Linux does. That said, it would be
   advantageous to have a similar interface to the kernel module for reasons
   of readability and maintainability.
   - Any licensing issues of using Linux kernel code directly.
   -

"
End of Quote

Is it possible to let WinPcap to take care of interfacing with Windows NDIS
stack, and let ovs deal with winpcap similar as it could integrate with
libpcap in Linux?

Regards,
Xin