[ovs-dev] About static libraries on openvswitch-fedora.spec

Timothy Redaelli tredaelli at redhat.com
Sun Nov 11 15:32:40 UTC 2018

Hi,
from commit bc4fd439586f ("rhel: Ship ovs shared libraries, fedora")
the openvswitch-devel subpackage (in openvswitch-fedora.spec)
stated to include both the shared and static libraries.

The problem is that this is against the Fedora Packaging Guidelines [1].

The guidelines suggest to avoid shipping static libraries if they are
not strictly required, so I suggest to drop the static libraries (by
passing --disable-static) from openvswitch-fedora.spec (like we do on
Fedora [2]).

Moreover the libtool archives (*.la) files should not be shipped.

If we really want to keep also the static library, we should (in order
to be compliant with the Fedora Packaging Guidelines) split the
openvswitch-devel package:

- The openvswitch-devel package will contain the shared library (.so)
  and the includes.
- The new openvswitch-static package will only contain the static
  library.

What do you think?

Thank you

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#packaging-static-libraries