[ovs-dev] 答复: Ask for help about ovs datapath development

zhang hao zh_94 at outlook.com
Thu Oct 4 07:28:18 UTC 2018

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have read the "Development" and "Implementation Details" in the FQAs, and that helps a lot.

Well, what I really want to do is that making the ovs become a real-time vswitch. And my primary idea is  to add a real-time datapath, which has higher priority of transmission than the other normal ones. To implement that, I plan to put the tstamp attributes of struct sk_buff into use, and add a new attribute to the sw_flow and sw_key the point out whether a  skb is a real-time packet or not. And if it is, it will be put into the real-time datapath.

So the main part I want to work in is the kernel space program of ovs. (I think so, maybe I am wrong) But what the "Development" of FQAs talk about is the user space program. luckily, in the Open vSwitch Datapath Development Guide, I found the explanation about"Flow Key Compatibility" helps, and it said that "If the kernel’s flow key includes more fields than the userspace version of the flow key, userspace can still set up a flow in the usual way, as long as it uses the kernel-provided flow key to do it." does that mean I need not modify the user space program? And if I just modify the kernel datapath, will the ovs become a real-time ovs, or run as usual just without error?

Thanks
Zhanghao