[ovs-dev] Issues configuring OVS-DPDK in openstack queens

Manojawa Paritala manojawapv at biarca.com
Wed Oct 24 13:56:25 UTC 2018

Hi Billy,

Firstly, thank you for taking a look at the logs I sent yesterday.

Please see in-line. Please let  me know if I miss anything.

Thanks & Regards,
PVMJ

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 3:36 PM O Mahony, Billy <billy.o.mahony at intel.com>
wrote:

> [...]
*Manoj :- Added the log level of debug to only bridge module and collected
the logs. Attached zip file has the logs.*

> *[[BO'M]] Also is there logging from the neutron agent. OvS should not be
> removing the br-flat1 of it’s own accord. Something external is updating
> ovsdb to remove it’s record. Is ovn in the loop here? Is there and
> ovn-controller or similar process running on the host?*
>
> *I think this is important. As far as I know the decision to delete the
> bridge will not be made by vswitchd. It will be something external that
> will remove the record in ovsdb bridge table. If the neutron agent log does
> not mention it is doing this then maybe check the ovsdb .log file (it may
> not exist if it’s not configured on the ovsdb command line) – you’ll have
> to check the ovsdb man pages and also set. The ovsdb-tool is showing just
> the delete transaction so we need to find out where that delete request is
> coming from.*

*Manoj :- I do not see any changes in the OVSDB logs after the
configuration change. The attached zip file also contains neutron-ovs-agent
logs.*

> Issue-1 :-
>
> 1. Everything is up and running. That is all the bridges are displayed in
> OVS and no issues in the logs.
>

> *[[BO'M]] can you add the output from vsctl show at this point so I can
> see the desired post agent restart state.*

*Manoj :- Attached zip file contains the output of the ovs-vsctl show
command before making changes to the neutron-ovs-agent and restarting the
service.*

> 2. I add the below entries in the OVS section of neutron's
> openvswitch-agent.ini file and restart the respective service.
>

> datapath_type=netdev
>
> vhostuser_socket_dir=/var/run/openvswitch
>

> 3. As mentioned earlier, bridge br-flat1 is deleted. At this point of
> time, observed the below.
>

> 3.1 br-int dtapath type changed from "system" to "netdev".
>
> 3.2. Not sure if it is an expected behavour, but there were MAC address
> changed prints only for both br-flat1 & br-int.
>

> 2018-10-23T14:39:40.253Z|41205|in_band|DBG|br-int: remote MAC address
> changed from 00:00:00:00:00:00 to 00:a0:c9:0e:01:01
>
> 2018-10-23T14:39:41.347Z|41374|in_band|DBG|br-flat1: remote MAC address
> changed from 00:00:00:00:00:00 to 00:a0:c9:0e:01:01
>
> 2018-10-23T14:39:48.229Z|41852|in_band|DBG|br-int: remote MAC address
> changed from 00:00:00:00:00:00 to 00:a0:c9:0e:01:01
>
> 2018-10-23T14:39:55.032Z|42008|in_band|DBG|br-int: remote MAC address
> changed from 00:00:00:00:00:00 to 00:a0:c9:0e:01:01
>
> *[[BO'M]] The datapath type change is expected. The MAC address changes
> I’m not sure.*

*Manoj :- Ok. Thank you for the clarification.*

> 3.3 interface state of br-int & eth8 (attached to br-flat1) are down.
>
> *[[BO'M]] Can you copy the o/p from vsctl show again at this point.*

*Manoj :- Attached zip file contains the ovs-vsctl output after changing
the nutron-ovs-agent parameters and restartong the service. Please note
that this time we also observed that 2 bridges got deleted. br-flat1 &
br-vlan. *

> Attaching the debug logs of ovs-vswitch.
>

> Issue-2 :-
>
> 1. Everything is up and running. That is all the bridges are displayed in
> OVS and no issues in the logs. I have one bridge named br0, which is of
> netdev type and I have attached a dpdk port, vhost-user port. Everthing is
> file.
>

> *[[BO'M]] When you say everything is fine br-flat1 is still missing right?
> If that is the case lets stick with the missing bridge issue for now.
> (There is actually quite a few issues in the vsctl output below that we
> deal with after we figure out who deleted  br-flat1).*

*Manoj :- Ok Sure. *