[ovs-dev] OVSDB IDL - tracked columns gives out of sequenced updates sometimes

Arunkumar Rg arunkumar.rg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 11:38:22 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have a ovsdb-client using ovsdb-idl to get updates from ovsdb-server. In
my client, I track(ovsdb_idl_track_add_column) column of a specific table
in the DB.

The issue I'm facing is - in the client, the sequence of updates that I get
is different from the sequence of updates that actually happen on the DB.
BTW, this does not happen always.

For example:
ovsdb-tool -m show-log /opt/ovsdb/db/vtep.db
:
record 1392: 2018-09-19 06:07:57.212
:
table Ucast_Macs_Remote row efb03eab (efb03eab):
delete row
:
record 1393: 2018-09-19 06:07:57.296
:
table Ucast_Macs_Remote insert row f39fe808:
:

But in the client, I get the above updates in wrong sequence i.e. f39fe808
first, then I get the update for efb03eab.
BTW, I use VTEPREC_UCAST_MACS_REMOTE_FOR_EACH_TRACKED macro to walk through
the changes that has happened on that table.

*So I'm wondering whether this out of sequenced updates given by ovsdb-idl
is expected or a bug. *
Please let me know your inputs.

Thanks,
Arun.