[ovs-dev] OVN/OVS Split POC: version 2

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Wed Apr 17 19:09:20 UTC 2019

On 4/12/19 3:38 PM, Aaron Conole wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Michelson <mmichels at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> I've once again rolled another OVN/OVS split version. It can be found
>> at https://github.com/putnopvut/ovn_mk2.git
>>
>> The main changes between this and the old split POC are as follows:
>>
>> * This is based on a much newer build of OVS master. Therefore, build
>> errors people had with dhparams.c *should* be cleared up.
>>
>> * This fixes errors with manpages.mk generation/checking, so there is
>> no need to do a pointless `touch` of manpages.mk during the build
>> process.
>>
>> * In many cases, rather than hard-coding paths to OVS, we use
>> variables. This isn't universally applied, but it's used for the
>> locations of C headers, libraries, and manpages.

Sorry for the late reply Aaron. Your reply got filtered to a folder I
wasn't expecting.

> A logical extension of these variables might be to move to incorporate
> the pkgconfig files that OVS installs.  We may need to generate some
> additional pkgconfig files for some components (maybe..) in OvS.
>
> But something like:
>
> +PKG_CHECK_MODULES([OVS], [libopenvswitch])
> + >
> in your configure.ac at OVN (with openvswitch being installed) means we
> get an even weaker coupling between the projects.  This would give all
> the flags, options, etc. that are needed.

I'll have to do some research into pkgconfig since I'm not familiar with
it, but based on what you're saying, this could be a very good idea.

> I think there may be some internal headers that need to be exposed
> externally (moved to include/openvswitch/).  Some of the common manpage
> includes will need to be shared (installed somewhere that they can be
> referenced) by the openvswitch installer.

Yes, right now some headers are in lib/ and others are in
include/openvswitch/ . I'm not sure what the current rules are regarding
which headers go in which directory. But it probably makes sense to have
all of them (if possible) in include/openvswitch/ .

Agreed on the common manpage includes as well.

> WDYT?  I have started a quick mock-up.  If I can spend more time next
> week on it I will, but can't promise anything.

Sure, can you point me to the mock-up? I'd love to take a look at it.