[ovs-dev] OVN/OVS Split POC: version 2

Flavio Leitner fbl at sysclose.org
Wed Apr 17 20:07:34 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:15:07PM -0400, Mark Michelson wrote:
> I've once again rolled another OVN/OVS split version. It can be found at
> https://github.com/putnopvut/ovn_mk2.git
>
> The main changes between this and the old split POC are as follows:
>
> * This is based on a much newer build of OVS master. Therefore, build errors
> people had with dhparams.c *should* be cleared up.
>
> * This fixes errors with manpages.mk generation/checking, so there is no
> need to do a pointless `touch` of manpages.mk during the build process.
>
> * In many cases, rather than hard-coding paths to OVS, we use variables.
> This isn't universally applied, but it's used for the locations of C
> headers, libraries, and manpages.
>
> Please give this a look and let me know what you think.

I see OVS binaries, headers, man-pages and libraries being built
and installed. Not sure what the plans are, but this could cause
some confusion to users once they start using the repo.

Other than that, it builds. It does without openvswitch-devel
package installed or direct install (unpackaged) of OVS, which\
brings my point for the previous iteration back. It's okay to do
later in my opinion, but somehow this will need to be cleaned up
or you might end up with two OVSs to maintain. Also that it
becomes less clear of which fixes we need to do in OVS itself
to allow OVN to be build.

The Makefile target rpm-fedora should build OVN packages, and
there should be no rpm-fedora-kmod. The rpm-fedora-ovn becomes
the rpm-fedora as already pointed.

The make rpm-fedora-ovn works though, super cool!

Thanks Mark!
fbl