[ovs-dev] Travis build failures due to base image change to Xenial.

Simon Horman simon.horman at netronome.com
Fri Aug 2 08:26:13 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 03:27:39PM -0700, Gregory Rose wrote:

> On 8/1/2019 8:53 AM, Ilya Maximets wrote:
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > I'm trying to fix TravisCI build failures on older branches. Recently they
> > started to change default images from Trusty to Xenial. Not all the repositories
> > affected so far, but main openvswitch github repo already builds with Ubuntu
> > Xenial as a base image.
> >
> > This caused few issues on older OVS branches due to more recent compilers:
> >    https://travis-ci.org/openvswitch/ovs/builds/565990648
> >
> > There are patches that needs to be backported:
> >
> > * Followiong patch needed for all branches from 2.9 to 2.5:
> > a7021b08b 2018-07-09 | configure: Disable -Wnull-pointer-arithmetic Clang warning. [Ben Pfaff]
> >
> > * Branches 2.7 - 2.5 additionally needs:
> > 1e78e3085 2017-01-26 | libX.pc: use the correct output directory [Aaron Conole]
> >
> > Above makes branches 2.9 - 2.6 to build correctly.
> > I prepared backports for these branches and could push them.
> >

> > However, there is an additional issue with branch-2.5:
> >
> > branch-2.5 has kernel 2.6.32 in the .travis.yml, but gcc >= 5 is not
> > able to build this kernel. This kernel reached its EOL few years ago
> > already and will never be fixed. So, there are few options for this issue:
> >
> > 1. Simply remove 2.6.32 kernel from the build matrix.
> >     (I have a simple patch for this.)
>
> That'd be my vote but if there are objections then...

Likewise.

> > 2. Officially drop support of this (or maybe some other too) kernel on branch-2.5.
> >     Note: Starting from branch-2.6 OVS officially supports only kernels >= 3.10.
> >     This will, probably, require documentation updates on all newer branches.

If backporting is too complex or cumbersome then I believe we
may need to consider either this or 3 in conjunction with 1 or 2.

> > 3. Drop support of branch-2.5, i.e. stop backporting patches and preparing
> >     stable releases.
> >     This might be not that easy as ovs-2.5 claimed as an LTS release right now.
> >     Does anybody use it?

I think that we should have a discussion about what LTS means for OVS
and if the current state of affairs makes sense. But I also think
this is a bigger discussion than how to fix Travis. And should
be treated separately from resolving that problem.

> > 4. Add 'dist: trusty' to .travis.yml on branch-2.5 so Travis will keep using
> >     Ubuntu Trusty image with old compilers that able to build kernel 2.6.32.
>
> This would be the second choice for me.

This is also my second choice.
But I believe it implies following-up with 2.