[ovs-dev] Travis build failures due to base image change to Xenial.

Ilya Maximets i.maximets at samsung.com
Fri Aug 9 10:23:20 UTC 2019

On 01.08.2019 20:48, Aaron Conole wrote:
> Ilya Maximets <i.maximets at samsung.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, everyone.
>>
>> I'm trying to fix TravisCI build failures on older branches. Recently they
>> started to change default images from Trusty to Xenial. Not all the repositories
>> affected so far, but main openvswitch github repo already builds with Ubuntu
>> Xenial as a base image.
>>
>> This caused few issues on older OVS branches due to more recent compilers:
>>   https://travis-ci.org/openvswitch/ovs/builds/565990648
>>
>> There are patches that needs to be backported:
>>
>> * Followiong patch needed for all branches from 2.9 to 2.5:
>> a7021b08b 2018-07-09 | configure: Disable -Wnull-pointer-arithmetic Clang warning. [Ben Pfaff]
>>
>> * Branches 2.7 - 2.5 additionally needs:
>> 1e78e3085 2017-01-26 | libX.pc: use the correct output directory [Aaron Conole]
>
> Ack to that backport (if it matters).

OK. I went ahead and backported/pushed above patches to branches 2.9 - 2.6.
Travis CI should be green now on these branches.

>> Above makes branches 2.9 - 2.6 to build correctly.
>> I prepared backports for these branches and could push them.
>>

>> However, there is an additional issue with branch-2.5:
>>
>> branch-2.5 has kernel 2.6.32 in the .travis.yml, but gcc >= 5 is not
>> able to build this kernel. This kernel reached its EOL few years ago
>> already and will never be fixed. So, there are few options for this issue:
>>
>> 1. Simply remove 2.6.32 kernel from the build matrix.
>>    (I have a simple patch for this.)

For branch-2.5 I'm waiting for more comments/Ack on the patch:
https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2019-August/361422.html

Backports to this branch will go along with applying above patch.