[ovs-dev] Compiling ovs with dpdk on freebsd

Aaron Conole aconole at redhat.com
Fri Aug 9 13:49:55 UTC 2019

Jeremy Plsek <jplsek at iol.unh.edu> writes:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> I'm trying to compile ovs (dpdk-latest) with dpdk on freebsd 11.2.
> When I try to compile with it, it gives the error:
> ../lib/netdev-dpdk.c:25:10: fatal error: linux/virtio_net.h: No such
> file or directory
> I'm guessing I'm missing a compile time option to avoid trying to
> compile with linux/virtio_net?

The issue is that dpdk support in OvS is limited to linux only.  Part of
the netdev-dpdk file has some linux specific calls, and the dpdk port
support relies on it.

> Here is how I'm compiling it:
> CONFIG_RTE_USE_LIBBSD=y in dpdk's config/common_base
> cd dpdk
> gmake config T=x86_64-native-freebsd-gcc
> gmake -j4
> cd ../ovs
> ./boot.sh
> cd static
> ../configure --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-ssl
> --with-dpdk=../../dpdk/build
> gmake -j4
>
> There might be other errors. Attached is the log from our script.

Thanks.  It's an effort to support ovs+dpdk on freebsd (requires
development from OvS side).  OvS without DPDK ports is supported, but I
don't think that's of interested for the IOL DPDK testing right now.

I've CC'd the ovs mailing list - maybe someone is interested in writing
some patches :)  The most straight-forward thing I think is probably to
split out the vhost port support from the netdev-dpdk.c file somehow.
Then conditionally compile it in.  But there's probably a better way.