[ovs-dev] compiling on v5.4 kernel

Gregory Rose gvrose8192 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 19:17:08 UTC 2019

On 12/5/2019 8:11 PM, David Ahern wrote:
> On 12/5/19 5:29 PM, Gregory Rose wrote:
>>> No more than usual I guess.  I know my attention has definitely been
>>> elsewhere lately.
>>>
>>> Let me look into it and scope the effort to pull us up to 5.4. The 5.0
>>> kernel isn't even
>>> listed at kernel.org with 4.19 being the latest LTS that we support.
>>> If 5.4 is going to be
>>> LTS as well then it makes sense to support it.
>> I tried building against the 5.4.2 kernel from kernel.org and found the
>> inet frags issue that David pointed out
>> To see if there were any other problems I then I ran 'make -i' but found
>> nothing else.  It should just be
>> a compat layer fixup for the inet frags issue.
>>
>> Maybe I can get a patch out for 5.4 support next week if no unforeseen
>> complications
>> arise.  Hopefully that can help David out in a timely manner as well.
>>
> That would be a huge help. Thanks, Greg.

Hi David,

I just want to update you on this work.  I've got everything fixed up
and compiling
on 5.4.2 but in the modpostsection there are a lot of bizarre errors.
I'm not sure where
this comes from so I'm tracking that down.  UnfortunatelyI don't have an
ETA.

The same code works fine on the 5.2.16 kernel.  I'm going to try 5.3 as
well and try
to nail down just when this error appears and the root cause.

If you would like to see for yourself what is going on I have a branch at my
experimental OVS github repo named '5.4-support'.

That repo is here:

https://github.com/gvrose8192/ovs-experimental

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks,