[ovs-dev] OVN/OVS code split: POC

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Fri Feb 22 21:01:05 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:50:56AM -0500, Mark Michelson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have completed a *rough* POC of an OVN/OVS code split. You can find it at
> https://github.com/putnopvut/ovn.git
>
> Please take a look at the README file since that highlights how the split
> was done, as well as some known issues.
>
> My attitude towards this repo is that it is a throwaway prototype. It
> essentially proves the concept that OVN can include OVS as a git subtree,
> while not really attempting to do a production-ready job of
> doing so. There is a lot of unfinished work.

It looks like the sort of thing I'd expect to see.

One thing I don't expect to see for a first cut or an nth cut is
perfection.  Stuff in corner cases is going to be broken.  That's the
nature of big changes.  We'll fix them as we notice them.

The manpages.mk errors are from the rule in the Makefile that tries to
rebuild manpages.mk.  That's why touching it helps, since it keeps the
Makefile from trying to rebuild it.

What do you think is your next step?