[ovs-dev] [BUILD branch-2.6-8, 11] Failure when executing 'make check'

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Wed Feb 27 18:34:46 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 03:26:01PM -0500, Michael Santana Francisco wrote:
> On each I got these results:
> branch-2.6  ----  Build hung forever. I started build Monday afternoon, came
> in the following morning and realized the build never finished.
>                   It hung for 16 hours. I canceled the build. I built it a
> second time on the same workspace, and it actually finished this time.
>                   This gave this error 2136: ovs-monitor-ipsec FAILED
> (ovs-monitor-ipsec.at:35).
>                   Ok, so I deleted my workspace and built with a clean
> workspace again a third time, and I got the same original error where it
> would just hung there forever.

I guess that it is some test, not the build, that hangs?  If so, which
one (or more) hangs?  I have not run into this, but then again I don't
often run the tests for such an old branch.

> branch-2.7  ----  test fail: 1928: monitor-cond-change with many sessions
> pending  FAILED (ovsdb-monitor.at:633)
> branch-2.8  ----  test fail: 1969: monitor-cond-change with many sessions
> pending  FAILED (ovsdb-monitor.at:633)
> branch-2.11 ----  test fail: 852: tunnel - concomitant incompatible tunnels
> on different ports FAILED (tunnel.at:868)

We try to make the tests insensitive to timing, but since many OVS tests
do involve asynchronous or timing-sensitive operations, some tests do
fail sometimes, especially when many tests are run in parallel or if
they are run on an otherwise busy machine.  We make it possible to
automatically rerun failing tests serially by adding RECHECK=yes to the
"make check" command line.  You can find more about this in
Documentation/topics/testing.rst.

(We definitely welcome improvements so that the tests become more
reliable under load!  It's not easy in a lot of cases.)