[ovs-dev] OVN/OVS code split: POC

Han Zhou zhouhan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:14:57 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 10:32 AM Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 04:03:20PM -0500, Mark Michelson wrote:
> > On 2/22/19 4:45 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > > Are you more concerned about OVN or OVS for testing?  It's easy for OVN
> > > to accidentally add a dependency on some later-than-intended version of
> > > OVS or OVSDB (although maybe just testing with the intended version
> > > helps?) but it's also easy for OVS to accidentally make some change that
> > > breaks OVN.
> >
> > I think I'm more concerned about OVS. OVN developers will be well aware of
> > the changes that they are making in both repos. OVS developers have the
> > potential to introduce changes that compile in OVS but cause breakage in
> > OVN. It's an understandable problem since some OVS developers may not even
> > be aware that OVN depends on OVS.
> >
> > CI can be used to ensure that OVN compiles against supported versions of OVS
> > and that tests still pass. This way, OVN devs can be notified if there's a
> > new breakage in OVN and fix it as soon as possible.
>
> The key may be to do OVN CI against all the versions of OVS that it
> claims to support.  That should at least help to avoid breakage.

In addition, it may be important to make sure OVS features have its
own test coverage in OVS itself, even if the feature is used only by
OVN (such as some OVSDB features). This should be part of the
splitting task, but not urgent in the beginning. (I assume OVS
developers will not be responsible for checking OVN CI failures.)