[ovs-dev] [PATCH v3 0/5] Quicker pmd threads reloads
david.marchand at redhat.com
Thu Jul 4 11:59:33 UTC 2019
We have been testing the rebalance code in different situations while
having traffic going through OVS.
Those tests have shown that part of the observed packets losses is due to
some time wasted in signaling/waiting for the pmd threads to reload their
This series is an attempt at getting pmd threads reloads quicker and
Example of number of cycles spent by a pmd between two polling
configurations (in cycles minimum/average/maximum of 1000 changes):
- d65586b6fa97: 125332/288153/717400
- patch1: 125860/267639/793113
- patch2: 44720/182703/464042
- patch3: 13968/159362/487000
- patch4: 13621/161201/500806
- patch5: 12422/ 18788/ 45818
Changelog since v2:
- remove unneeded synchronisation on pmd thread join in patch 2
Changelog since v1:
- incorporated Ilya suggestions in patch 2 and 3
- dropped previous acks on patch 2 and 3 but kept them on patch 4 and 5 since
there is no major change in them
Changelog since RFC v2:
- added ack from Eelco
Changelog since RFC v1:
- added numbers per patch in cover letter
- added memory ordering for explicit synchronisations between threads
in patch 1 and patch 2
David Marchand (5):
dpif-netdev: Convert exit latch to flag.
dpif-netdev: Trigger parallel pmd reloads.
dpif-netdev: Do not sleep when swapping queues.
dpif-netdev: Only reload static tx qid when needed.
dpif-netdev: Catch reloads faster.
lib/dpif-netdev.c | 107 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------
1 file changed, 73 insertions(+), 34 deletions(-)
More information about the dev