[ovs-dev] Update on DDlog port of ovn-northd

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 16:05:18 UTC 2019

On 7/12/19 3:29 AM, Leonid Ryzhyk wrote:
> Dear OVN developers,
>
> This is a brief update on the state of the DDlog port of ovn-northd.
>
> We completed the initial implementation of ovn-northd in DDlog few months
> ago.  Justin kindly
> helped to integrate it with OVN, so that it can be used as a drop-in
> replacement for the C
> version (and passes all the tests in the OVN test suite).  The DDlog
> implementation does
> not have any of the new features/improvements added in April 2019 or later.
>
> ## Repository
>
> The code is in the `ddlog-dev` branch of the `ovn-org/ovn` repository:
> https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn/tree/ddlog-dev

Hi Leonid,

I ran into an issue when attempting to build ovn-northd. I successfully
installed DDLog, but then I encountered this issue when building OVN:

ddlog -i ovn/northd/ovn_northd.dl -L
/home/putnopvut/differential-datalog/lib
ddlog: Failed to parse input file: "ovn/northd/ovn_northd.dl" (line 94,
column 5):
unexpected "&"
expecting "not", variable name, relation name, "var", expression or "."

The line in question looks like this:

     &SwitchPort(.lsp = lsp, .sw = &sw),

Any idea what's gone wrong here?

Thanks,

Mark Michelson

> ## Documentation
>
> Building and using ovn-northd-ddlog:
> https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn/blob/ddlog-dev/ovn/northd/docs/design.md
>
> Debugging ovn-northd-ddlog:
> https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn/blob/ddlog-dev/ovn/northd/docs/debugging.md
>
> ## Preliminary performance results
>
> Han Zhou kindly tested ovn-northd-ddlog with his OVN scale test and even
> found a nasty
> performance bug in the process (thanks, Han!).  He reports that DDlog
> speeds up the test
> by almost a factor of 10:
>
> - ddlog version: 7:39min
> - C version: 67:47min
>
> This is great, and in fact profiling shows that there is still plenty of
> space for
> improvement.  He also reports a 10+ times increase in memory footprint:
>
> - ddlog version: 1944696KB
> - C version: 147984KB
>
> Again, we are working on a number of optimizations, which should reduce
> this overhead; although it will never be as low as C, since DDlog
> fundamentally
> needs to cache more state to enable fast incremental computation.
>
> Han also used DDlog's record&replay feature to capture all northd
> transactions
> performed by the scale test in a format that can be replayed against the
> standalone DDlog executable without having to reproduce Han's OpenStack
> setup.
> The replay file is here: http://ryzhyk.net/replay.tgz
>
> Instructions for replaying this script:
> https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn/blob/ddlog-dev/ovn/northd/docs/debugging.md#record-and-replay-ddlog-execution
> The script will run for a few
> minutes and finally print some profiling information, including the
> breakdown of
> DDlog's CPU and memory usage.
>
> ## Next steps
>
> We seek help from the OVN community in maintaining ovn-northd-ddlog.  The
> first
> step is to start porting new OVN features introduced in the last few months
> DDlog.
>
> Leonid

Hi Leonid,

I attempted