[ovs-dev] OVN Mailing list and patch submission

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 19:12:12 UTC 2019

On 7/30/19 2:59 PM, Aaron Conole wrote:
> Mark Michelson <mmichels at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that the OVN repo is created and new OVN changes are being
>> targeted for it, it seems like a good idea to bring up the topic of
>> creating a mailing list for OVN again. Would it be possible to get a
>> new OVN mailing list?
>>
>> A subject that goes hand-in-hand with a new mailing list is patch
>> submission for OVN. We can continue to use e-mail like we have with
>> OVS, we could use github pull requests, or we could be permissive and
>> allow for either (my preference). What are people's thoughts here? For
>> e-mail patch submissions, it would be swell if we could have 0-day
>> robot work for the OVN project the same as it does for OVS. What would
>> we need to do to ensure that this is possible?
>
> I can answer this last question more easily - it just requires a way to
> disambiguate between the two trees.  As long as a straight-forward
> algorithm can determine whether a patch is destined for one tree vs. the
> other, it's easy to make the 0-day bot follow that algorithm.

Hopefully the different mailing lists would be a good enough distinction
for this. Submissions going to ovs-dev would be for the OVS repo, and
submissions going to the new list (ovn-dev?) would be for the OVN repo.
And if a submission is sent to the wrong list, then the confusion from
0-day robot should be sufficient to indicate to the sender that they've
sent to the wrong destination.