[ovs-dev] include/sparse/rte_flow.h

Kevin Traynor ktraynor at redhat.com
Wed Nov 20 18:02:10 UTC 2019

On 19/11/2019 18:48, Ilya Maximets wrote:
> On 19.11.2019 19:01, Eli Britstein wrote:

>>> Hi.  DPDK headers before 18.11.3 has issues that makes sparse unhappy.
>>> This header will be removed along with upgrade to 18.11.3 or higher.
>>> Right now we're not experiencing issues with current version of
>>> sparse header probably just because we're not using most of the functions.
>> I see. Thanks.
>>>
>>> We're not going to update this header only remove.  You may update it in
>>> your patches or base your changes on top of dpdk-latest branch where this
>>> header already removed.
>>
>> So, what is the preferred way for submission?
>>
>> 1. cherry-pick those commits from dpdk-latest on top of master and my
>> patches on top of that
>
> This doesn't sound like a good option.
> If sparse header needs only few small changes for your patches to work,
> you may create a special patch for that.  If not, you may send patches
> as-is but mention that these patches depends on a DPDK 18.11.3+ and another
> patch that removes the sparse header.
>

>> 2. submit directly on dpdk-latest
>
> Not sure about this option because dpdk-latest is mostly for changes that
> requires most recent DPDK, but this is not exactly your case.
>

>>> I'm not sure when we're going to migrate to 18.11.{3,5}.
>>> @Ian, @Kevin, is validation still in progress?  Does anyone work on this?

Ian ran his automated tests at the time of 18.11.3 and reported results
here:
http://inbox.dpdk.org/stable/c243e0b9-bac9-9759-c51e-e40320100cae@intel.com/
I ran some PVP tests also at that time but they were on rpms with some
patches, so not as relevant.

Other general 18.11.3 validation is in that thread or there is a summary
in the release notes
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides-18.11/rel_notes/release_18_11.html#id7

I don't think the changes in 18.11.4/5 will have an impact, but if Ian
is able to re-run those automated tests again, it might be best.