[ovs-dev] include/sparse/rte_flow.h

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Wed Nov 20 18:14:36 UTC 2019

On 11/20/2019 6:02 PM, Kevin Traynor wrote:
> On 19/11/2019 18:48, Ilya Maximets wrote:

>>> I see. Thanks.

>>> So, what is the preferred way for submission?
>>>
>>> 1. cherry-pick those commits from dpdk-latest on top of master and my
>>> patches on top of that
>>
>> This doesn't sound like a good option.
>> If sparse header needs only few small changes for your patches to work,
>> you may create a special patch for that.  If not, you may send patches
>> as-is but mention that these patches depends on a DPDK 18.11.3+ and another
>> patch that removes the sparse header.
>>

>>> 2. submit directly on dpdk-latest
>>
>> Not sure about this option because dpdk-latest is mostly for changes that
>> requires most recent DPDK, but this is not exactly your case.

> Ian ran his automated tests at the time of 18.11.3 and reported results
> here:
> http://inbox.dpdk.org/stable/c243e0b9-bac9-9759-c51e-e40320100cae@intel.com/
> I ran some PVP tests also at that time but they were on rpms with some
> patches, so not as relevant.
>
> Other general 18.11.3 validation is in that thread or there is a summary
> in the release notes
> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides-18.11/rel_notes/release_18_11.html#id7
>
> I don't think the changes in 18.11.4/5 will have an impact, but if Ian
> is able to re-run those automated tests again, it might be best.

I was holding off moving to 18.11.3 as there was talk on a .4 (and now
.5 due to CVE I believe), so from a validation point of view we've held
off until it was settled. We can run validation on .5 if its the case it
has all required cve fixes.

>>> Is it a question of "if" or "when"? what is the purpose of migrating to
>>> 18.11.3/5 and not to 19.11 soon?
>>
>> 18.11.3/5 requires validation + small patch for docs/CI.
>> 19.11 requires additional development that didn't started yet
>>        + validation + patch for docs/CI.
>>
>> Plus, 18.11 needs to be upgraded on previous versions of OVS too.
>>
>> With current speed of development and validation I will not be surprised if
>> 19.11 will not be supported in next OVS release.

So I would think that this upgrade would go ahead, with RC3 imminent I
think 19.11 will settle.

I know there is a few issues such as RSS offload which we're looking to
patch and we're beginning validation now on existing features along with
required fixes. Is there a particular issue you are aware of that would
block the 19.11 upgrade?

Ian