[ovs-dev] Use more than 200000 flows in datapath/kernel cache flows

Zhiwei Cen zhiweic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 04:39:55 UTC 2019

Dear ovs-dev,

I'm trying to see if I can increase the number of flows supported in
kernel cache. I found two relevant config options
(other_config:flow-limit and upcall/flow limit). My understanding was
that other_config:flow-limit is for the normal openflow flows while
upcall is for the kernel flows
(http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/faq/design/ question one).

It seems I can change the limit for Openflow flows.
This works:
$ovs-vsctl --no-wait set Open_vSwitch . other_config:flow-limit=200001

$ovs-vsctl --no-wait get Open_vSwitch . other_config:flow-limit
"200001"

However I cannot change the limit for kernel flows.
This does not:
$ovs-appctl upcall/set-flow-limit 200001
set flow_limit to 200001

$ovs-appctl upcall/show
system at ovs-system:
  flows         : (current 70) (avg 68) (max 92) (limit 200000)
  dump duration : 3ms
  ufid enabled : true

  127: (keys 3)

My question is, is it possible to change the limit on kernel flows and
is upcall the right command?

Thanks,
Zhiwei