[ovs-dev] Querying OVS for OpenFlow capabilities

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 18:08:09 UTC 2019

Hi guys,

I recently sent a new version of a document describing proposed OVN/OVS
compatibility [1]. In it, I suggested that when we add new OpenFlow
capabilities to OVS, then OVN needs to probe OVS for the OpenFlow
capabilities at startup. This way we can know whether we have the
capability, can log an informational message, and can just generally be
as graceful as possible.

Numan brought up that the ability to probe at runtime for an OpenFlow
feature may not exist yet. I'm aware right now that we could attempt to
program a flow that uses the capability we're interested in and see if
it succeeds. But I was wondering if there's a more formal way of doing it.

Thanks,
Mark Michelson

[1] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1159217/