[ovs-dev] Question on ovsdb_idl_omit_alert()

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Thu Jan 2 19:29:44 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 03, 2020 at 12:45:06AM +0530, Numan Siddique wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> ovn-controller.c has the below code here [1]
>
> ovsdb_idl_omit_alert(ovnsb_idl_loop.idl, &sbrec_chassis_col_nb_cfg);
>
> From what I understand from this comment [2], when ovn-controller
> updates this column, SB ovsdb-server shouldn't send the
> update2/update3 message back to the ovn-controller and to all the
> other ovn-controllers right ?
>
> But I don't see it working as expected. I can see that ovsdb-server
> sends the update2/update3 message to all the connected clients.
>
> Is this a bug ? Or is my understanding wrong ?

I think that is a misunderstanding.  "Omit alert" does not suppress
messages from ovsdb-server.  Instead, it keeps the ovsdb IDL from
incrementing the sequence number that indicates that something has
changed in the database, that is, it keeps from alerting the IDL's
client that something has changed.